Canon Samuel Barnett 1844 - 1913 and Barnett Homestead


Today - 17 June -  is the 100th anniversary of the death of Canon Samuel Barnett (1844 - 1913). He was Vicar of St Jude's, Whitechapel, the founder of Toynbee Hall and a Canon of Bristol Cathedral and Westminster Abbey.  He married Henrietta Rowland, founder of Hampstead Garden Suburb in 1873. 


The Barnett Homestead in Erskine Hill (1913) is named after Samuel not - as is often assumed - Henrietta Barnett.  It was built in 1916 for war widows and funded by the shipbuilder Sir Alfred Yarrow in memory of Samuel.  It was designed by John Soutar the Trust architect. The name 'Hampstead' is derived from the word 'homestead'.


St Jude's worshipper Hilda Williams has lived at Barnett Homestead since 1980.

No comments:

Post a Comment