Checking the electrics
Ray Matthews (accompanied by his wife June) visited the church this afternoon. In the late 1970s Ray spent three months rewiring the church and installing new light fittings. He was working at the time for W. H. Fox and Co (est. 1920) then of Campden Hill Road. Ray lived in Kent and travelled by train every day to Victoria followed by a bus to the office in Notting Hill and then the 28 to Golders Green and a walk up the hill from there.
Ray recalls the nave at that time was lit by lamps hanging on cables from the roof. Some of the lights now used to illuminate the crossing area were actually installed to light up the murals. Ray was pleased to see his handwork still in use and in good condition.
Ray and June, originally from Notting Hill and Shepherds Bush, now live in retirement in North Wales but come to London every year for the carol concert at the Royal Albert Hall.
We also had visitors today from a group of Iranian Christian women, and some students from the Lycée Français Charles de Gaulle in South Kensington working on a project about the Suburb as a utopian housing project.